CRANBERRY ALMOND BISCOTTI
(Makes about 20 biscotti cookies)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup BTOF organic sliced almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup BTOF organic almond meal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 egg + 2 tbsp water for brushing
*Substitute whole wheat flour with more almond meal to make this recipe gluten-free.
1. Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, lemon juice and almond extract. Once you have a nice creamy texture, mix in the sliced almonds and dried cranberries.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, almond meal, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to fully combine.
5. Shape dough into 2 logs about 12 inches long- this gets a little messy but it's fun! Place the logs on the baking tray and flatten with your hands (use flour to prevent sticking).
6. Brush the logs with the egg and water mixture.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
8. Remove from oven and using a serrated knife, cut logs into strips about 1/2 inch thick. Leave a little space between each strip.
9. Place back into oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
10. Remove from oven and place biscotti cookies onto cooling rack to cool completely.
Once cooled, enjoy with a friend and a hot, black cup of coffee!
Adapted from lifestylefood.com
A delicious holiday recipe that is also fun to make! Crispy sliced almonds and savory almond meal, with the tartness of cranberries, make this biscotti perfect with coffee on a chilly winter afternoon.
I had some fun with photos on this baking day, please enjoy! Scroll down to the bottom for recipe.
*This recipe can be modified to be gluten-free.